Sunday, December 31, 2017

HOSTING

When we grew up in Denmark we learned in our family that guests were treated with courtesy and respect.

Not only that, but “guests were served”.  It would be unheard of that a guest had to do “work” when they came to a home. As a matter of fact, you would be considered “A rude host” if you had such expectations.

Going in to somebody else’s “kitchen cupboards” would be totally unheard of and if it happened, we properly would never be invited to that home again. That would be “total invasion of private space”.


When I joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints – 1959 – I learned a different concept.
“Many hands make light work”.  I learned that when we “help” the host, we lighten the load, and all become “friends”.

I liked that concept and have enjoyed many, many events where I have made friends in the LDS church – in a kitchen.

Nevertheless, now 60 years later I admit that I still feel it is my responsibility to “serve” anybody who come as guests to my home and I do it with happiness and joy.

I am happy when some of the guests offer to help with dishes etc, but I have no expectations of any guests to do so.

I am just happy and grateful that somebody cared enough to take the time to come to our house to “sit down” and “have conversation” so we can get to know each other and I am more than happy to be a host and spoil my guests.


Vibeke Lindhardt
31 December 2017

HAPPY NEW YEAR


No comments:

Post a Comment