Thursday, April 6, 2017

STRØGET, Copenhagen, Denmark.



Walking in Copenhagen was a great part of my childhood, teenage and married life in Denmark.

I am sure there are no Danes who have not walked from Raadhuspladsen down STRØGET to Illum’s Bolighus and Nyhavn.

I am also pretty sure that any tourist visiting Copenhagen want to walk down STØGET either to just look at the many interesting stores and places, or sit at an outdoor restaurant for some Danish food or to shop at the many interesting stores.

As a teenager, it was a treat to walk and look at all the things I could not afford. 

It was a “different” and foreign world than the one I lived in.  A world with extremely expensive clothes and footwear etc. A place for just “looking” and “watching”, but not buying.

I always wondered where people got the money from to purchase such expensive items?   “Georg Jensen’s Silver” and shoes and purses that cost several hundred kroner was certainly not a part of my life.

When I got married I realized that It was many Danish housewife’s dream to own a set of Georg Jensen’s cutlery.



There were so many cute restaurants and of course we did not have McDonald and all the other American chain stores they have now. I think the first time I saw a McDonald on STRØGET was when I was “back-home” in 1970. Also numerous of stores have been added or changed since I lived in Denmark.

I had my usual stops at Højbro Plads and maybe swinging around to see “The Absalon Statue” and Gammel Strand.  When I was a little kid the Fish women were selling fresh fish there.

Harly and me on Høbro Plads

 A statue of Absalon who was the city's founder
A statue as a memory of "Fish" women that used to be there every day on Gammel Strand.

When I worked at Palle Hvid and Co’ paper company, which was located in one of the side streets to STRØGET; I loved going shopping in some of all the little basement shops in the side streets to STRØGET

There were many little inexpensive shops with merchandise from other countries and I loved buying earring and clothes from India and other countries.

Of course my walks either started or ended on RAADHUSPLADSEN where I had to feed the pigeons and then have a “WARM RISTET PØLSE” = “A Danish Hot Dog with roasted onion and  mustard.

PØLSEVOGN
RAADHUSPLADSEN


I loved feeding the pigeons. A s matter of fact, pigeons became a “regular” part of my life on Vesterbro.

We lived on the fourth floor in Kongshøjgade and the pidgins were regular guests outside our windows.I fed them so much that they sometimes came inside the apartment. That was when my mom set the limit.  No birds “inside” the apartment. Of course, at that time I did not agree.  Why not?  They were so cute and I liked the little bird sounds they made. 

The walk on STRØGET usually ended up at NYHAVN:



Nyhavn was not a place I was allowed to walk in when I was a child because it was know as a place where you should not go, unless you wanted to drink etc.

It has been cleaned up since and today is a huge tourist attraction.

I am grateful to have had the many, many walks in Denmark.

Especially those I had on STRØGET.

Vibeke Lindhardt
6 April 2017


1 comment:

  1. Another great example of blogging, there was not a place in the pictures where I had not gone. HC Andersen had an office inn that area and many years later I was cleaning his office.

    ReplyDelete