Monday, April 3, 2017

MAGICAL TIVOLI



TIVOLI was a great part of my life from the age of ten until I got married 1957.
I had a summer pass and would be in Tivoli many times a week.

They had “Doormen” at the gate and I got to know one of them very well.  As a matter of fact, he was many times the main reason I wanted to go there.  To have a talk with the doorman.

But of course, Tivoli in itself was a “magical place” to be at any time.


I knew every little cranny corner, from “Pantomime” theatre” with “Pjerrot” to “Rutsjebanen”.= the roller coaster.  Mind you I mostly stayed away from the roller coaster because when the ride was done, I would throw up.

No, then I would rather go and listen to the concerts in “Glassalen”.

But, of course I had to watch “Tivoli Garden” with the little “boy-soldier” and if there was money, then I needed an ice-cream cone with whip cream, jam  and a “Flødebolle” on top.


It was very seldom I would be there for the “Evening Fireworks” since I had to be in school the next day.  It was only when Birgit and I went dancing in Tivoli.  Then we would stay and watch the fireworks.

Birgit and I had a lot of great times together in Tivoli.  Birgit was seven years older than me and she knew how to make it fun. My first jive was danced in Tivoli.  I can still hear the music: “One o’clock, two o’clock, three o’clock Rock”. That was just up my alley.

When Walt Disney was planning to make “Disneyland” he came to “TIVOLI” in Copenhagen to get inspiration.

One never get tired of Tivoli, no matter if you are a child or an adult, but as you get older, one of the joys of going to TIVOLI is to sit down at the many little restaurants and have some “Dansk smørrebrød”

Tivoli only used to be open in the summer time, so I was really surprised one year when I was visiting Denmark in October to see it open for Halloween.
When we were children, nobody in Denmark celebrated Halloween. Nevertheless, I must say I was very impressed with what the Danes had done about Halloween in Tivoli.  It was as magical as the summer time TIVOLI I remember.

For me, TIVOLI has a lot of personal memories and I simply cannot visit Denmark in the summertime and not take a stroll in TIVOLI.


Vibeke Lindhardt
3 April 2017



1 comment:

  1. For me did was a trip down memory lane or as I would put it vennemindevej awesome job well constructed and illustrated

    ReplyDelete