Thursday, April 27, 2017

IF THERE IS ROOM IN YOUR HEART - THERE IS ROOM IN YOUR HOUSE.


When Bent and I lived in Denmark, the Danish tradition were that people could
 ”drop by” at family and friends places any time.

Nobody found it strange that you just showed up unexpected.  As a matter of fact, before the time of fridges, women usually had “some baked goods ready in the kitchen” just in case somebody showed up.

My mom always said “If there is room in your heart, then there is room in your house.”, so I grew up with that ANYBODY was welcome at ANY TIME in our home and I like that tradition and feel I have continued that Danish -drop-in - tradition all my life and have taught my children the same.


It was then and is still a part of what the Danes call “Hygge”.

We cozy up with our friends with a warm or cold drink and a few goodies and we might light a candle and place on the table to make visit more “Pleasant”.

 When I got married I got this little fridge with a freezer compartment, and I always made sure that there was something in the fridge for the “unexpected guests”.

Over the years both when I lived in Denmark, Canada and now in USA, I have always enjoyed having family and friends come for dinner, lunches or just a “drop by”.   "To keep your house open to family and friends AT ANY TIME.

It always makes both Bent and I happy when people feel relaxed enough with our friendship that they can just “drop by” for a CHAT.

Nevertheless, I learned that not everybody in neither Canada nor USA like the Danish tradition of just dropping by.  They want “a phone call first” and I can see the advantage of that too.  It might not always be convenient to drop by.

But, I guess when it comes to people dropping by, I am still what we would call in Danish “Pœre Dansk”. =  “Danish to the bottom”.



Vibeke Lindhardt
27 April 2017







No comments:

Post a Comment