Monday, March 5, 2018


GIV MIG EN BLOMST- Give Me a Flower



My mother - who was always singing - often sang a song called “Giv Mig En Blomst” = “Give Me A Flower”.

I always loved when my Mom was singing, but as a child I did not think so much about the lyrics in a song.  I was mostly interested in the melody.

But now that I am an “Olding” as we call it in Danish when you are over 80, I am very touched by the lyrics of Ingeborg Nœstved’s song.

We humans are so busy most of the time that sometimes we forget to take time to “what is really important” and might later regret “that we did not take the time”.

Vibeke Lindhardt

5 March 2018


INGEBORG NÆSTVED 1887-1979

Ingeborg had a life that from childhood taught her “the important things in life”.

She was born in Copenhagen 25 May 1887. When she was 10 years old she got meningitis and lost her hearing.

She was sent to the deaf school in Fredericia for one year and then four years to Nyborg, Denmark. After that she was back in Denmark where she got an apprentice in and office.

Because she was not deaf before she was 10 years old, she could speak and remember songs and sounds.

In 1920 she was hired as an office assistant at the Deaf Institute, where she worked until 1945.
Ingeborg started very early to write poetry and when she was 16 years old she wrote for the “Deaf magazine” Effata.  She wrote under the name called “Nœs”.

Ingeborg passed away 1979 at the age of 92

In 1988 J.M. Steinway printed 350 of her poems in a book. In 2006 “Lokalhistorisk Arkiv” printed the rest of her poems.

“Giv Mig En Blomst” was written 1920 and was given “to the people” which meant that there was not “copyright”.





GIV MIG EN BLOMST MENS JEG LEVER

not sure of the year, BUT N.P. Hartelius made the music for the song.


Giv mig en blomst mens jeg lever,
At øjet kan frydes derved
Mit øje ej skuer de blomster
Der lœgges på kisten ned

Give mig et smil mens jeg lever
Kom mod mig forstående, mild,
Har døden først lukket mit øje, så
Trœnger jeg ikke dertil.

Elsk mig imedens jeg lever,
Og hjertet om kœrlig ber.
Når først man har lagt mig i graven
Behøves det ikke mer.

Grœd ikke over min kiste,
De tårer ej bringer mig fred,
Du måtte langt hellere ha sparet
Mig mangen en tåre jeg grœd.

Så kort er jo livet hernede,
Så hvorfor forstår vi dog ej
Af blomster og smil kun at sprede
Et vœld på hinandens vej.


GIVE ME A FLOWER WHILE I’M LIVING
MY TRANSLATION – 2013

  

Give me a flower while I’m living.
That my eyes can see all its might.
I cannot vision the flowers.
Which are on my casket - In light.

Give me a smile while I’m living.
Bring me your kindness and love.
When I am alive. Please forgive me.
Below I can’t feel it above.

Love me as long as I’m living.
My heart is needing your love.
When first I’m below in the grave-yard
I cannot receive it above.

Please do not cry on my casket.
The tears will not give me release.
I wished in my life you had saved me
the tears and given me peace.

Life is so short in our earth life.
Why is it we cannot believe.
That we should give flowers and sunshine.
When gone. It’s too late to receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment