Thursday, January 11, 2018

FINDING AUNT ELLY
Was Nothing Less Than a Miracle

Me and Elly

Through my years old genealogical research, I have had many interesting experiences, but of all of them, the best experience was to find my aunt Elly Nielsen – nee Rasmussen.

I never knew who my grandfather on my mother’s side was.  I tried for 40 years to research with no luck. My mother Else Margrethe Gunhild Emmely Rasmussen was born 17 October 1907 – out of wedlock - on “Den Kongelige Fødselsstiftelse” which was a hospital for “unwed mothers”.

My Mom Else Margrethe Gunhild Emmely Rasmussen.


When you look in the church records at that time, such a child was called “uœgte barn” – which directly is translated “unreal child”.  In USA they called such a child “a bastard” in the records.

My grandmother Kristine Rasmussen, that we all called Minna, NEVER told anybody who the Father was.  Maybe she told her husband Karl Kristensen, that she married later -  in 1925, but if so, he never told anybody.  My grandmother went in her grave with that secret.

My grandmother Kristine Rasmussen

I researched in the Danish records from 1960 - and got nowhere.  Finally - in year 2000 I decided to make a “last attempt” and made a four-page  newsletter with all the information I had on my mother and my grandmother.

I received a letter from Anne-Lise Pallesen – a professional genealogist from the Fladsaa Archives in Denmark, that she was willing to try to find my grandfather.

She tried for six months and found nothing, but in November 2000 she sent me a letter that somebody living in Devon, Alberta, Canada – just two hours drive from where I lived at that time -  were paying for my grandmothers’ brother Anders Rasmussen’s burial ground in Snesere.

I wash shocked and  it was a puzzle for me, because I knew that my grandmother’s brother Anders Rasmussen had passed away 1963 and in Denmark you normally only keep the burial grounds for 20 years.

Anne-Lise gave me the name Ernoch Nielsen  - who paid for the burial ground. I did not know any Ernoch Nielsen and knew I had no Nielsens in my genealogy, so I was wondering who it was, I found the phone number on Ernoch Nielsen and it was a woman taking the phone. I asked her if she was Ernoch Nielsens’ wife and she said she was.

I told her that I was looking for somebody who was paying for Anders Rasmussen’s burial ground in Snesere. She responded: “Anders Rasmussen is my Dad and we are paying for the burial ground”.

She then asked me “Are you Else”?  I said “No I am not Else.  I am Else’s daughter Vibeke. Elly then pursued to tell me that she knew about my mother and that she wished I had phoned last week then I could have attended her 80 birthday.

I went a couple of weeks later to visit my aunt for the first time.  I was shocked when she opened the door.  It was like looking at my Mom.  A short little 5’2” woman.  I have to admit I got tears in my eyes.

I had brought an old photo that I had inherited from my grandmother Minna, where there were five of the 11 siblings, incl. my grandmother Minna and her Elly’’s Dad Anders.

from left Jens Christian Rasmussen, who immigrated to Nebraska, USA when he was 17 years old. Anders Rasmussen  (Elly's Dad)

Dorthea Rasmussen, Karen Rasmussen and my grandmother Kristine Rasmussen (Minna)

I showed her the photo.  She said: “Just a minute”.  She went in to her bedroom and came out with a photo where the whole Rasmussen family were on, incl. Elly.  She pursued to tell me the the only that was missing in the photo was my Mom.

My grandmother Kristine is in back row - in the middle with the glasses on.  Her husband Karl Christensen to the right of her.  Elly was telling me that the only one missing in this photo was my Mom.

Finding my aunt Elly has blessed my life.  I drove up from Utah this year to visit her in the Senior home in Stoney Planes, Alberta.  Elly is now 96 years old and still going strong.

This photo was taken in Stoney Planes, Alberta, Canada  of Elly and I in May 2017.  My aunt Elly is now 97 years old.


Vibeke Lindhardt

10 January 2018

vibekesonja.blogspot.com






No comments:

Post a Comment