Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Cove Fort, Utah

Alley Hart in front of Cove Fort, Utah


Cover Fort was built by Gordon B. Hinckley’s grandfather Ira Hincley.with the help of Mason Nicholas Paul.


 The Fort celebrated their 150 anniversary this year on the weekend of August 5th


In 1867 it would take 10 days to get from Salt Lake City to Cove Fort and similar 10 days from Cove Fort to Toquerville.  It took Alley and I about two hours each way.


This is the house that Ira and Adelaide Hinckley lived in with their 7 children:



Allie and I are standing in front of the horse barn.  They used to have lots of horses and cows, but now they just show it off.



Notice how the bed frame that held the mattress was attached to bed.  They had a tool to “tighten the frame” when it got saggy.



They cooked all their meals on this stove.  Looks a lot like the stove my Mom cooked on when we lived on Munkebjergvej 53 on Amager, in Copenhagen. 



They did a lot of weaving.





They used washboards to scub their clothes on and so did my Mom and I when I was a kid in Denmark:  



They made their own soap.





Alley having fun on the pioneer wagon.



No comments:

Post a Comment