Saturday, May 4, 2019


SOME OF US ARE OLD ENOUGH TO STILL REMEMBER.

5 May 1945

I was eight years old, but I still remember standing in line with all the other Danes waving a flag for the English and American troops.

They were throwing gums and chocolate and us kids were quick to pick it up.  We had never seen gum before. But we did not have the full understanding of “what it meant” that we now had peace.

At that time my family, my Dad Lars Vilhelm Henry Madsen and my mom Else, my sisters Inge Lise and Birgit in Taarnby, Amager, Copenhagen, Denmark when it happened.  We lived on Munkebjergvej 53.

My childhood memories until then was with my Dad listening to the BBC radio every day, rolling down the black blinds every night. Us kids thought “that was normal living”. We did not know better. But my parents knew that 5 May 1945 was HUGE.

After five years, they could finally remove the blinds and they placed candles in the windows which became our symbol of peace.





The things us kids most thought about was that “now we could eat bananas” and chocolate.



75 years of peace thanks to England and USA being allies.
 
We have now had peace for almost 75 years
United States have in those years had strong allies in Europe.
If USA is not careful, history could repeat itself.
Vibeke Lindhardt
5 May 2019
Vibekesonja.blogspot.com




No comments:

Post a Comment